Monday, December 6, 2010

'I see that the girl is sitting.' -E.

The following tree diagram illustrates the constituent structure of the sentence 'I see that the girl is sitting' in Lebanese Arabic. Syntactic constituents are in red, phonological representations of words are in blue, and glosses are in green.

Yep, this is what my day has been like today. And not a bad tree diagram, if I may say so. My current class has had me working on Arabic like this for the last six weeks. It can get tiring, but I like this stuff. Can't help it. And I remind you all (as I remind myself) that this is not pointless. Analyzing a language well improves the quality of any translation of texts into that language. Wouldn't it be something exciting to be a part of quality translation? I'm hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment