Monday, October 10, 2011

The "dearest freshness deep down" of my ordinary life -QM

I love the big, grand picture of Glory that I read in Gerard Manley Hopkins' poem, God's Grandeur. He wrote that
The World is charged with the grandeur of God
It will flame out, like shining from shook foil
;
It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed...


I also love the tiny pieces of glory that I read in Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts:
24 Old men looking for words just perfect
54. Moonlight on pillows
55. Long, lisped prayers
56. Kisses in the dark
243. Clean Sheets smelling like wind
244. Hot oatmeal tasting like home

Here are some everyday glorious moments from my day today:
  • waking to the yells of my small son and having him miraculously fall back to sleep
  • a slow jog past a misty, newly mowed field
  • the surprise of tears on my cheeks while listening to a new song
  • a tiny, peanut butter covered finger transformed into a neighing, galloping horse
  • the smell of pinto beans, bacon, and cumin in the crockpot

All this talk of Glory reminds me of the verse that has lodged deeply in my heart this past month: 2Corinthians 3:18. (The above 'new song' comes from this passage--check out Mosaic's Be Like You)

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

Quote in Title also from God's Grandeur, GMH

1 comment:

  1. So neat! I was recently considering the God's Grandeur poem to study with my 6th graders. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete